Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1) …✎…Beth Revis


Across the Universe by Beth Revis

My rating: ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✩

Dreams are like that: they go in and out of memories and scenes, but they’re never real. They’re never real, and I hate them because they aren’t.

The concept itself wasn't you, but the book was written nicely.
What was interesting, there were some bizarre scenes but there was only 1 a little and even then not really romantic scene between the main characters.

Author did a nice job telling both of their stories. It was nice to follow in their eyes how each of them grew as characters, how they changed, and adjusted and found themselves.

“Or the Armenian Genocide?”A map of Sol-Earth replaces the terrifying man, and the outline of a small country flashes, inviting me to tap on it and learn more.

I was really touched when I saw my country's historical event mentioned here. Since Turkey is a strong country and we are small, not many countries dare to recognise our genocide of 1915, when 1,5million Armenians were massacred by Ottoman Turks, just cause they were Christians. No one wants to make an enemy of Turkey. So this small but nice recognition is nice, and I am grateful to the author for this, since many readers will see this.

“That moment, when you’re finally awake, and you know you’re awake, and you want to vomit out those tubes, but you can’t, and you want to get out of that box, but you can’t, and you want to breathe. But. You. Can’t.”

Ok, now about the book, first of all her parent "gave" her a choice, but in my and lately discover in her eyes as well they did not. They kind of like guilt-pushed her to do that. And once more Elder unconsciously took her chance away...

And there is nothing between us but rain.
Then there is nothing between us at all.


The only romantic scene between them, but I liked it that they both had their separate lives, and their separate jobs, and they worked on them, and didn't hang on each others' neck whole the time.
Harley though OMG I liked that guy, and I do not considered him crazy even for a second, he was an artist, openminded, and he liked everyone and tried to see the good, even in the Eldest. But I kind of understand her, since he was desperate and the Eldest took the last hope from them...

“I just wanted to meet you. I didn’t know I’d ruin your whole life.”

I guess everyone in that planet was lonely, and especial the Elders and Eldest since they can't really turn off their emotions my that pills. And look how one second of desire changed everything.
It was mentioned that Elder was 16 but the way he was described I thought of him as 18-19 years old boy, which was sometimes confusing.
The whole ship was creeping me out, since they all were emotionless, even when it was mentioned at the beginning that Elder spoke like a Cyborg... Hopefully during the series that will change, and by that I mean the turning off the emotions.

I reach behind me, and Elder is there. Like he always has been. He grabs my hand, but I shake loose.
I’m not ready for that.
But ... if my life on Earth must end, let it end with a promise.
Let it end with hope.
I wrap my pinkie around his. He squeezes my finger, and this world doesn’t feel so cold anymore.
“Will you stay with me?” I whisper.
“Always.”


Well now they have only each other and maybe Doc and Victoria. I liked that it was neither sad nor happy ending, it was bittersweet, and I am glad that all the secrets were revealed, I would not like her to be deceived again, Jason, her parents in some way, and now Elder... I am glad that he came out with the secret, since he has morals unlike the others, and gave her a choice to choose what to do, since he accidentally took hers...




No comments:

Post a Comment