Monday, December 12, 2016

Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe #1)…✎…Rosamund Hodge


Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

My rating: ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✩

“We’ll both be foolish,” I said, “and vicious and cruel. We will never be safe with each other.”
“Don’t try too hard to be cheerful.”
His fingers threaded through mine.
“But we’ll pretend we know how to love.” I smiled at him. “And someday we’ll learn.”


I liked this book, actually, it was nothing like blurb says and nothing like the Beauty and the Beast story. And even though it says that there is mythology, there is so little of it there, that you might say there is not that as well.

“Duty is bitter to taste but sweet to drink.”

I liked the characters. Nyx was strong, but she was so bitter inside, being a straightforward person, it annoyed me when she didn't express her true feelings instead acted like she was an ignorant girl.

“Though mountains melt and oceans burn,
The gifts of love shall still return.”


Ignfex, he was something. I liked him, he was kind of like Hades, well how I imagine him, or maybe Hermes. He was manipulative, yes, but he wasn't the villain, he was actually kind. I think he just didn't found the right person to show it. However I really liked how he said what he thought without ay shame.

“Water is born from the death of air, earth from the death of water, fire from the death of earth, air from the death of fire.”

I didn't like Shade, he was creepy, and I could see right through him. Actually I didn't suspected, no, I was SURE who he really was. It wasn't a twist or a surprise for me. And I couldn't believe how stupid Nyx was not nothing it herself cause it was obvious. And I really didn't like with chatting with him on Ignifex, even though she was forced to marry him, he was her husband.

“I do like a wife with a little malice in her heart.”

The events were interesting. I liked how author filled all the in betweens. I liked that characters were fighting together against the most dangerous demons, the they clearly saw what should have been done, and put their hatred aside.

“You’re a demon,” I said, staring at the ground.
“Most likely.”
“I know what you’ve done.”
“The exciting parts, anyway.”
“And I still don’t know your name.”
My hands trembled as I undid my belt, then started to unclasp the brooches. It seemed forever since that first day when I had ripped my bodice open so easily. “But I know you’re my husband.”
The dress slid down to land on the ground about my feet. Ignifex touched my cheek very gently, as if I was a bird that might be startled into flight. Finally I met his eyes.
“And,” I said. “I suppose I do love you.”
Then he pulled me into his arms.
“I still might kill you,” I told him, much later.
He traced a finger along my skin. “Who wouldn’t?”


And well, they fell in love. This part happened slowly but at the same time suddenly. I saw it coming of course, but the events from this pointed were kind of rushed. it felt like author wanted to say something but she was so excited that she wrote so much but at the same time nothing, you know when you have so much to say but words never do you justice, well from this point to the end it kind of felt like it.

That the demon who ruled all our world was mine.

Overall, I liked it, I am glad I finally read it, cause it was interesting.
I am just grateful that they somehow managed to get their Happily Ever After.




No comments:

Post a Comment